Wednesday, March 28, 2012

An auspicious birth.


Last weekend at a stake closet swap event I attended on behalf of our ward's young women, I met Brother Fei - a mainland Chinese guy in our stake. Of course I had to inflict my ever regressing Mandarin conversation skills upon him in not-so-veiled hopes of securing an invite for hot pot. When he learned I was pregnant, his eyes got big and he exclaimed: "Year of the dragon! This is very lucky!"

Since leaving Taiwan, I've totally lost track of the Chinese zodiac but it would appear that, in fact, our little lady will arrive in the luckiest, most success-producing year (according to Chinese tradition) of the zodiac! Unlike many Chinese parents, Spens and I didn't plan it that way but given that our Chinese surname is Long 龍 - "dragon" - it does seem particularly auspicious. :)

3 comments:

  1. hahahha I didn't even think about that!! I guess my kids are going to miss out on being successful & lucky...unless I have one in 12 years? I should start planning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yep, get on that. You're a real Asian so the power of the horoscope probably applies doublefold to your posterity.

      Delete